Tuesday, April 19, 2011

In the studio 4-19






















Not much happening in the studio this week. Judged some local art (not my students) for the first time yesterday. So impressive. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE children's art? Pure imagination.

I received some pictures today from the talented photographer and former student of mine, Miss Heather Lee. I'm not crazy about having my picture taken, but I do love the props and backgrounds. I'm working on some artist cards and an artist bio so I needed a creative picture or two.

I came across something cool this week called a "Zentangle". Check them out at zentangle.com. I'm stuck on creating these zentangles whenever I have a little bit of time...like waiting on a coke at Sonic or something.

So, you start with something called a TILE. This is a 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" square piece of paper. Something nice and thick. Then you draw a STRING. The idea is to quickly draw a line without thinking to get you started. Imagine if you dropped a string on the paper, how would it look? Draw it. Real quick.

Then you basically doodle patterns and designs to form patterns to fill up the tile. The overall piece is called a zentangle. Zen represents the idea that these should be relaxing. A tangle is the pattern.

Here are a few pictures to give you the idea. This is a perfect example of a project that looks really hard, but it's not. They are fun. Try it.



Do what you love and love what you do.

Suzy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey! Love seeing ur pics! Miss you! I didn't know what zentangles were...but I used to do them all the time growing up...may try some out again soon.

Unknown said...

Thanks Dede. I wanna see pics if you try out the zentangles again. I bet you start one at your desk tomorrow :) LOL. I don't even know where you work. Miss you too. I'll have the WHOLE summer off in about a month, so I'll come see you.