Sunday, April 3, 2011

In the studio 4-2

This has been one of the most creative weeks I've ever had. Did I mention that already LOL? The week began with art camp plans. All along I've been thinking that I HAD to do art camp...I miss it so much and I had great ideas coming together for the Color Splash 2011. But then, I worked more and more on the Word Painting you see in an earlier post and I am hooked. I LOVE everything about that painting. I was about to send it home with it's owner and I knew I wanted to show it to the gallery. I went to Magnolia on Friday and it could not have turned out any better. The gallery loved the piece as much as I did. There were already customers picking out their words. It was a big hit and THE BIG NEWS IS: I was accepted in to the gallery and will be selling my work there. My first gallery. That is big. That is a dream come true. And, to top it off, this was the one I've admired for some time now. It is the COSMOPOLITAN LADIES CLUB on the square in Magnolia. Stop in and look around one day. They are also on facebook. So with that said, and after much prayer, I believe it is time for me to use this summer to paint for myself in my studio. This is probably the last summer both boys will be at home and I want to enjoy long, lazy days of summer with them. There is just so much to do and we have several trips planned. I love teaching kids. It's who I am. But, I do that for 9 months and now I just want to paint, paint, paint. Remember I told you there are treasures at yard sales and thrift stores? Well, yesterday I found 2 old windows. I have taken one and painted the trim blue and put a huge owl and a whimsical tree on the glass part. It is inspired by some Pottery Barn bedding. Are you reading this Sue M? Trash to Treasure. I also made some facebook signs. The black section is chalkboard paint so you can write in chalk (and erase) how many friends you have. Spring Break is winding down. Going to bed earlier and switching gears. I have enjoyed every minute of this one. It has FELT like a long break. The boys were home and we played Yamslam. It felt like those long summer days. Good feeling. THEN early in the morning the race starts again. I'll be knee-deep in paperwork and I have ALOT of things to wrap up before the end of the year. Grades due this week. Projects we need to finish. One thing coming up is a project I'm calling "GREENJEANS". The students are taking baby blue jeans and altering them using anything green to communicate a "GO GREEN" message. Jeans will hang on a clothesline for display and will encourage the message: "reduce, reuse, and recycle." I would like for the exhibit to travel to locations interested in spreading the message if you know of anyone involved in recycling campaigns. Today Kirk and I rode around the lake. I cannot believe we sold our lake house years ago. I wish we would have kept it. Here's a picture of Kirk in the car with me today. I am SO proud of my boys. They just bless my life. We're taking a few trips this summer. So again, I feel led in a different direction. It's a hard decision for me, but I will not have an art camp at The Art Factory this summer. I'll leave you with another challenge from that list I mentioned in the last post. *** Illustrate your grocery list this week. Just a little doodle. Try a sunflower or easter eggs. Do what you love and love what you do. Suzy

No comments: